[KS] Eastern Ways, Western Machines

Kirk Larsen kwlarsen67 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 19:44:53 EST 2009

You are probably already aware of the significant and influential strand of
thought in the 19th century Qing Empire summarized in the phrase *xixue
weiyong, zhongxue weiti *(西學爲用 中學爲體), and often abbreviated as *tiyong. *In
the English-language literature, this is often glossed as "Western learning
for utility, Chinese learning for essence." This was part of the
"self-strengthening" movement. I would be very surprised if there weren't
some cross-fertilization going on between Qing and Choson given the
similarities in the phrases' construction.

Cheers,

Kirk Larsen

--
Kirk W. Larsen