[KS] The Mystery of the Breve

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Sun Sep 13 16:39:44 EDT 2009

Dear Brother Anthony, and others:

Sorry to be so direct, but I feel that THIS should really not anymore
be one of the points to be discussed on the
transcription/transliteration issue.

It was done before, but here again the technical basics:

(a) First, the problems listed (mostly limited for non-informed users)
will go away within the next couple of years, as soon as old and
outdated software and older computers have been replaced by newer
script/program versions (of message boards, email software, etc.) and
operating systems (such as Mac OS X or Windows XP and later). Of
course, when to replace or update outdated hard- and software is an
individual choice.

(b) As was pointed out on this list before (by myself and others), the
"new" (that is 1990s) Unicode fonts that are now standard for Windows
(starting, I believe, with Windows 2000 or XP, and with Mac OS 9) all
include brèves as well as Hanja, Han'gŭl, Hiragana, Arabic, Hebrew,
Tibetan, Bengali, and the alphabets and scripts of many other world
languages. Just look it up in the Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode or visit the Unicode home page:
http://unicode.org
... QUOTE: "Unicode consists of a repertoire of more than 100,000 characters"
All these characters are in each of the standard new fonts you use --
say Arial, Times, Palatino, or Courier. However, all of us have most
likely still other older pre-Unicode fonts installed on our computers,
and only if you now reformat some text you got from someone else using
an Unicode font (or reverse), only then will you run into trouble.

(c) You stated that in a Mac environment it is especially difficult to
type the brèves. Well, it is not. With an US-English keyboard layout
(you can freely choose the keyboard layout in the Mac preferences)
this is what you type (might vary according to chosen keyboard layout):

McCune-R :
   ŏ --> ALT + b, then o
   Ŏ --> ALT + b, then SHIFT + o
   ŭ --> ALT + b, then u
   Ŭ --> ALT + b, then SHIFT + u

Hepburn:
   ō --> ALT + a, then o
   Ō --> ALT + a, then SHIFT + o
   ū --> ALT + a, then u
   Ū --> ALT + a, then SHIFT +

(d) Web pages using brèves (or any other characters present in Unicode
fonts, such as Han'gŭl or Chinese Characters): all that the web
designer needs to do to make this work for ALL newer web browsers
under any OS is to use UTF-8 encoding -- this is done by inserting
this line in the header:
"charset=UTF-8" (instead of, for example, "charset=iso-8859-1" for
standard older Latin encoding). The problem that Mac users sometimes
have is that websites in Korean language are often encoded in national
Korean codes (a problem you see with many Han'gŭl sites), not using
Unicode character sets either but Windows-only fonts -- and THIS is
rather a problem created by the 'ignorance' of the makers of these
websites, one that will for sure also disappear rather sooner than
later. The latest version of the Mac Safari browser, by the way, deals
quite well with most of these strange setups (not so Firefox).

Best wishes,
Frank

========= q u o t e =========
(...)
In addition, we know that any email, blog, or web page into which we
have inserted such a special character will more often than not (more
than 50% of the time,  I am told) fail to work when viewed on another
computer, even using the same browser; the special characters will
usually be seen as ? or as some kind of blob. Moreover, the text of a
500-page book composed on a PC using (say) MSWord, into which we have
carefully inserted breved characters as above, once it has been sent
to the editor or printer (not only in the US) will usually be
transported into a Mac environment. Each breved character, to say
nothing of apostrophes and the dashes if not hyphens, disappears and
someone has to go through the entire text, looking at a printout of
the original,  re-inserting the breved characters etc (which is said
to be especially tricky on a Mac, I don't know). It is also not
possible to use the MSWord 'search and replace' function to introduce
as 'replace' a word with a breved letter.

So my question is: in the light of this set of problems with breved
letters, which are with us every day and will not be going away any
time soon, (...)