[KS] The Mystery of the Breve

Javier Cha javiercha at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 16:59:16 EDT 2009

Just to add to the discussion of typing breved (is that a word?)
vowels in Windows:

Microsoft Word (the Windows editions) allows direct input of unicode
characters through conversion from the hexadecimal number to which the
character is mapped. It is a trick that has served me well for many
years now.

The hex numbers for the vowels with breve in the MR system are:

ŏ --> 014f
Ŏ --> 014e
ŭ --> 016d
Ŭ --> 016c

To try this, open Microsoft Word; type 014f and press Alt+X. Word will
convert the hex code into the corresponding unicode character, ŏ.

Unfortunately this function is not implemented in other Windows
applications. Maybe there are third party tools that allow this kind
of input but I haven't researched yet. If you use the full version of
Outlook (not Outlook Express or Windows Mail) you can enable Word as
the email editor and use this feature.

Javier