[KS] Inquiry about HAN, Sang-uk

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Fri Apr 16 07:56:47 EDT 2010

>Born in 1898, Han studied economics in the
>Faculty of Law and Political Science of the
>University of Zurich in Switzerland.  He
>received his doctorate in 1927 for a 96 page
>long dissertation entitled "Die Landwirtschaft
>von Korea" [The Agriculture of Korea]  (...)

Dear Dr. Shulman:

Only this:
Before 1945 there lived no more than two handful
of Koreans in the German speaking countries. And,
over all these years, Han Sang-uk is pretty much
the only one of these where I have not come
across any info at all about his whereabouts.
Maybe half of the others went to North Korea and
made an academic, artistic, and/or political
career there, the other half went to the South to
do the same, while only two or three of them
stayed in Europe and passed away here.

Other than the mentioned 1927 dissertation ...
    http://www.book1950.co.kr/file/49649934_P1010011.JPG
... I am not aware of any other publication by Han.
His University of Zurich student records give his
father as Chang-soo Han [Han Chang-su], his birth
date as December 10, 1898, and his home address
is in Seoul. Degree date: May 17, 1927
Before coming to Switzerland in 1924, with a
Japanese passport, he must have studied in Japan
... since his student records show the entry:
"Original diplomas lost during earthquake in
Japan" -- that must likely have been the 1923
Great Kantô earthquake then.

But I am pretty positive that there was neither
any other later academic activity in South or
North Korea.

Has anyone more information? I would also be interested. Thanks.

Regards,
Frank