[KS] Question regarding Sim Cheong

Jan Creutzenberg jannberg at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Aug 25 21:56:12 EDT 2010

Dear María Mercedes,

according to Marshall R. Pihl, the earliest manuscript of Shimch'ŏng-
ga would be by Shin Chae-hyo--promoter and one of the first scholars
of p'ansori--, dating from the 1870s. (This seems to be a literary re-
working of the well-known p'ansori-song rather than a transcript.)
The first woodblock editions of performance transcripts appeared in
the early 20th century. See Pihl's study The Korean Singer of Tales
(Harvard UP 1994) for more information on this matter (especially pp.
113-121) and a translation of the ~1916 Wanp'an-woodblock edition.

Best regards, Jan

---

Jan Creutzenberg
107-55 Nogosan-dong, Mapo-gu
Seoul (zip 121-100)
Republic of Korea

jan.creutzenberg at fu-berlin.de
mobile: +82-(0)10-6874-5575

http://seoulstages.wordpress.com

***

Good evening!

I'm writing from Argentina (please excuse my grammar mistakes, my
English
still needs improvement), with a question to which I haven't been
able to
find an answer yet.

Does anybody know around what time the traditional tale of Sim Cheong
( 심청 )
was written? Or in which century the first written records of it became
known? I've only found the dates of famous performances of it as
pansori,
from 1788 onwards.

Thank you very much for your time.

María Mercedes Gallo.