[KS] Question regarding Sim Cheong

Walraven, B.C.A. B.C.A.Walraven at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Wed Aug 25 15:24:42 EDT 2010

Dear Maria Mercedes Gallo,

There is considerable uncertainty about the origin of the Sim Ch'eong story. Some scholars, in particular Kim Tonguk, have looked for an origin in oral literature. Kim Tonguk thought of the forms of the novel in p'ansori as the oldest.

Bill Skillend of SOAS, though, argued that the versions of the story that were printed in Seoul (in the nineteenth century) were older than the versions from Cheonju (wanp'anbon) which are closest to p'ansori as it is sung (see his article "Puritas Submersa resurgit,"in Asiatische Studies/Etudes Asiatiques 34:2 of 1980; the journal is Swiss and the text of the article in English, no need to brush up your Latin).  Certainly one of the most popular Wanp'anbon editions is of a very late date, 1913 if my memory serves me right. The Seoul versions, which Skillend thinks may go back to the late eighteenth century, are much less jocular than the Wanp'anbon, more "respectable," and quite different in the details of the story. A book that discusses the complex relation between the different versions is Ch'oe Unsik, Sim Ch'eong cheon yeon'gu which concludes that the Seoul version is older than the Cheonju edition.

Shamans of the East Coast also sing the story of Sim Ch'eong and for that reason I have written one chapter about these shamanic versions and the possible origins of these in my 1994 book Songs of the shaman: the ritual chants of the Korean mudang. Some people believed that the shamanic songs, as oral literature, were the original source of the story, but for that I could not find any evidence. Different mudang produce different texts, but these obviously go back to p'ansori or printed editions.

I have to confess that I have not kept up with the issue for many many years, but there may be someone on the list who is able to furnish more recent literature on the subject.

Best wishes,

Boudewijn Walraven