[KS] The Frederick Starr Collection photos

rmo at mail.utexas.edu rmo at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 28 12:09:39 EST 2010

Dear Brother Anthony and all,

I've been working on Starr intermittantly for some time (as you may
know), and first wrote about his Korean career and reproduced a couple
of his more ethnographic and ethnological (that is,
racial-typological) photos -- or more precisely, those of his two
primary photographers in Korea, Manuel Gonzales and Maebashi Hambei --
in 2005 (""The West" and the Anthropology of Other People's
Colonialism: Frederick Starr in Korea, 1911-1930," Journal of Asian
Studies).  I also have an article that I wrote a few years ago on his
visit to Sokkuram/Sokpulsa coming out eventually (in the journal
_positions_, which has a long backlog), in which there will be a few
of the 39 photos he had taken of the site on November 27, 1911, along
with a treatment of his interpretation of the ethnographic
significance of the site (which was based centrally on the colors of
the paint then still visible to him on the temple's wall figures).
The latter article being as yet unpublished, I don't want to send it
around willy-nilly, but please contact me individually if you're
interested.

So the short answer is yes, some of Starr's photos in the Chicago
collection are of potential relevance to those interested in Buddhism
in the period.  In addition to the Sokkuram set, there are individual
photos, looking at some old notes, from Yuchomsa, Tongdosa, Haeinsa,
Pomosa, and perhaps other temples.  (There are also other photos of
people and of other religious sites - the Chondogyo headquarters, a
(the?) Kija shrine, etc.).  The bad news is that what exists at
Chicago are medium-sized prints (3x5", 6x8" - that range), rather than
the glass plate originals, which are lost (or at least I haven't found
them).  The motion picture film Starr shot in Korea also seems gone.
(Final, more minor issue: Chicago re-boxed the collection a few years
ago.  Most of the old box locations map onto the new in a fairly
straightforward manner, but I had to hunt around for some when I
re-visited in 2007).

I made the claim when I first wrote about Starr that the Chicago
register for 1922-23 listed "what was probably the first course on
'Korean ethnography' to be offered at an American university."
Besides "probably," key words include "American" - which, of course,
is not the same as "Western" (as Ross notes).  But also "ethnography,"
because a course locating Korea with respect to the explicit concerns
of what was then a nascent, barely institutionalized discipline
(American-flavor anthropology) is not the same as a "Korean studies"
course more generally.  About the latter I'm agnostic, though I can't
off the top of my head name who was teaching Korean studies (in this
broader sense) in the US before then.  (Incidentally, one can also
look at this from the other direction.  There was a lot of interest in
Korea on the part of U.S. anthropologists going back to the 1880s, but
in this phase of the discipline, most tended to be based in museums
rather than universities and thus didn't offer courses.)

Anyway, please let me know if I can help you further.

Rob Oppenheim
Department of Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin