[KS] 1926 Invention of Hangul Typewriter

Kwang On Yoo lovehankook at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 22:05:30 EST 2010

Hello Everyone,

Below is some interesting information telling us how Korean fonts on your PC
came into being as they are known today:

Mr. Song, Ki-Ju (Keith C. Song), after graduating Yunhee College (now Yonsei
University) in Seoul, at age of 25, came to the U.S. in 1925. He received
his B.A. from Texas State University the next year.

In 1926 he was employed by Chicago mapmakers, Rand McNally & Company. While
there he invented the Hangul Key Board by arranging 42 keys on an Underwood
typewriter.

In 1933 he entered an agreement with The Underwood Typewriter Company in New
York City, to manufacture Song Ki-Ju - Underwood Typewriters.

Dr. Kong, Byung-Woo(ophthalmologist) had tried to buy out Song's invention
without success, but upon Mr. Song's abduction to North Korea during the
Korean War, Dr. Kong took upon Song's method thus became the Korean fonts
you know today.

Attached, please find a news article I copied from "Seventy Years' History,
1923-1993:
The First Korean United Methodist Church of Chicago". The First Korean
United Methodist Church is the oldest Korean church in Chicago.

Please note the Lord's Player in Hangul. He typed, right to left, top to
bottom. Apparently
he was not only a great inventor but also an excellent typist. I have never
tried but it would probably take me a couple days to type as he did.

The church history also notes that Song made the first 3d relief map of
Korea while he was
with the Rand McNally.

Sincerely,

Kwang-On Yoo