[KS] On term "haebang"

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Mon Feb 8 09:45:46 EST 2010

>Have any of you run into the term "haebang" (Revised romanization) in
>respective fields. I am studying political rhetoric of the 1980s and Chun
>Doo-hwan seems to have grown an affection to this term.
>Obviously it is linked to the term and concept "jiefang" in Chinese and
>some of the events that deserve the name "liberation" in China during
>1940s and 1950s. (...)
>
>Matti Tervo

Well, Matti -- Chun Doo-hwan and haebang? That
sure sounds more like Puntila's idea of
liberation than Matti's? (in Brecht's "Mr Puntila
and His Man Matti"). It might be more productive
if you tell us a little more about your own
hunch, your own findings as regards to "haebang"
and Chun Doo-hwan. Any post-colonial country
would, for obvious reasons, have a strong
admiration of the term liberation. If you look at
all the many Korean books and pamphlets published
during the colonial period (mostly in China) and
into the late 1940s and 1950s in Korea, you will
find plenty with "haebang undong" in the title,
both from North and South Korea. Under Park Chung
Hee that terminology later changed into "tongnip
undong" -- maybe because haebang just reminded to
closely of the French revolution and its concept
of libération while tongnip had no political
implications, other than territorial and national
independence (not personal, not
political/ideological, not economic freedom). The
North still prefers "haebang undong" over
"tongnip undong." So, I would love to hear more
from you about how Chun Doo-hwan fits into this.

Frank