[KS] more about e-Book readers

Witteveen GP sjmi_y at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 27 10:27:32 EST 2010

Regarding languages-other-than-English, I learned from the Kindle help desk the following (I am collecting tips and details at http://sites.google.com/site/big1file/kindlelore):

The Kindle Store offers primarily English-language books (and U.S. and intl newspaper and magazine-priced in $U.S.).  You can view other Western Language books on your Kindle. The Text-to-Speech feature reads your book, blog/magazine/newspaper out loud in English. So it will try to read non-English words in English. We carry a limited number of non-English titles in the Kindle store and work on expanding our selection daily.

[currently supported character sets] Kindle can display non-English content that uses the ISO 8859-1 character set (based on the Latin languages). Characters from this set not currently supported are spades, clubs, hearts; up-arrow, down-arrow, alpha, beta, and gamma. Kindle also supports Greek characters and monospace fonts.

--Guven Witteveen, sjmi_y at yahoo.com
St. Johns, Michigan USA