[KS] first issue of Korean Histories

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Tue Jan 5 20:39:27 EST 2010

>>  The editors welcome submissions and feed-back

Congratulations! Just one short note: It would be so much nicer if
"on-line" would really mean that the journal is online -- in the
sense that we can in addition to downloading (not so important)
actually read articles in a web browser. They could easily be put
onto the Web using WordPress or a similar program. PDF files are not
exactly a product of the spirit of the Internet (and our times as
such), rather a technical hangover, a digital remake and exact
imitation of paper publishing, doing nothing but providing paper
publications in digital format, so that they can be distributed for
printing. This process inevitably imitates all the hierarchies,
conventions, and limitations that come with paper publishing.
Furthermore, there is no FORUM at the journal's website, and
therefore no way to respond to the published articles, no way to get
into a creative dialogue. What then is the difference to a paper
journal? Your published announcement at least points into another
direction. This conventional frame of publishing then seems to --
quite completely -- undermine the journal's approach. I would
therefore suggest to change the format of publication and to open
your site up for a public discussion.

Best wishes,
Frank