[KS] first issue of Korean Histories

Roald Maliangkay Roald.Maliangkay at anu.edu.au
Tue Jan 5 21:27:48 EST 2010

Dear Frank and others,

I think the new journal looks fantastic, and I think that having some
forum there is a really good idea, but there are huge issues with
real Wordpress-like on-line journals, one of which is the referencing
(no page numbers = mucho dolor), the fonts (limited..., and no, let's
not start the romanisation debate here) and the lay-out. Another
problem is the potential modem-burning size of some of the articles.
For those articles that do use film snippets, for example, the true
on-line delivery format would be perfect, but for those of us who do
not have South Korea-like Internet, it would still be great to have
basic-quality PDFs for download (avoiding freezing up systems). I am
sure the editors will still be developing the different formats of
delivery, but for me personally, having easily reference-able (bad
English, I know), nicely laid-out PDFs is great.

Just my two cents worth...

Roald

On 6 Jan 2010, at 12:39, Frank Hoffmann wrote:

>>>  The editors welcome submissions and feed-back
>
> Congratulations! Just one short note: It would be so much nicer if
> "on-line" would really mean that the journal is online -- in the
> sense that we can in addition to downloading (not so important)
> actually read articles in a web browser. They could easily be put
> onto the Web using WordPress or a similar program. PDF files are
> not exactly a product of the spirit of the Internet (and our times
> as such), rather a technical hangover, a digital remake and exact
> imitation of paper publishing, doing nothing but providing paper
> publications in digital format, so that they can be distributed for
> printing. This process inevitably imitates all the hierarchies,
> conventions, and limitations that come with paper publishing.
> Furthermore, there is no FORUM at the journal's website, and
> therefore no way to respond to the published articles, no way to
> get into a creative dialogue. What then is the difference to a
> paper journal? Your published announcement at least points into
> another direction. This conventional frame of publishing then seems
> to -- quite completely -- undermine the journal's approach. I would
> therefore suggest to change the format of publication and to open
> your site up for a public discussion.
>
> Best wishes,
> Frank
>

> --
> --------------------------------------
> Frank Hoffmann
> http://koreaweb.ws

______________________________

Dr. Roald H. Maliangkay
Senior Lecturer
School of Culture, History and Language
College of Asia & the Pacific
Baldessin Precinct Building #110, Room E3.07
The Australian National University
Acton, Canberra ACT 0200,
AUSTRALIA
Tel: + 61 2 6125 3191