[KS] first issue of Korean Histories

Javier Cha javiercha at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 00:27:06 EST 2010

I, too, love the new journal. Please keep more great articles coming!

Re: Dr. Maliangkay
We don't need to limit our imagination to page numbers, which is,
after all, a product of the codex-based print media. One viable
alternative might be the paragraph system:
http://digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/1/1/000007.html might serve as a
model.

As for the possibility of online HTML publication, font type, size and
style are extremely easy to adjust using CSS. The journal editors can
offer a variety of styles to the readers, and the style and formatting
of the article can be transformed on the fly. Or the reader can load a
custom stylesheet of his or her choice. Most web browsers today offer
this feature.

HTML and CSS are pure text, and hence are extremely compact in size.
There would be minimal difference in file size between an
efficiently-coded HTML and PDF.

I personally would like to make two feature requests to the editors:
1) open-format ebook version of individual articles (i.e., in ePub);
and 2) publish the journal under a Creative Commons license. Currently
in East Asian studies, the only journal that does so is Sino-Platonic
Papers edited by Victor Mair. Korean Histories can position itself as
a trendsetter!

Javier