[KS] Dr. Lee Hye-Ku

Hilary V. Finchum-Sung finchumsung at snu.ac.kr
Sun Jan 31 05:43:42 EST 2010

I am sad to announce that Dr. Lee Hye-Ku, one of the foremost scholars in the history of Korean music studies, has passed away.  Born in Seoul in 1909, his work in broadcasting during the 1930s led him to the study of Korean music. In 1947 he became a professor in the College of Music at Seoul National University and, over the course of thirty years, taught some of the most prominent figures in Korean music studies today.  At Seoul National, he instituted the first Department of Korean Music in South Korea. He contributed immensely to the scholarship in both Korean and English, and wrote a great number of the articles and volumes that I and most of my colleagues studied upon embarking on our journeys into the world of Korean music.   He died of old age on Saturday, January 30, 2010 at noon at the age of 101.  He will be greatly missed by colleagues and students.  A memorial service will take place on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 at 10 am at the National Center for Korean Traditional Performing Arts in Seoul.

Hilary Finchum-Sung