[KS] The Korean War and The Three Cambridge Spies

Kwang On Yoo lovehankook at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 23:50:19 EDT 2010

Dear Mr. SzalontaI,

Thank you for the mail.

*Ex U.S. State Dept. official Mr. Verne Newton, mainly quoting Khrushvhev's
memoirs states how, when and why Stalin decided to support Kim Il Sung's
invasion plan;
' Kim Il Sung and his delegate arrived in Moscow in late December 1949, just
six months after the last U.S. troops were pulled out of South Korea. Kim
informed his host that he wanted "to prod the South Koreans with the point
of a bayonet," and later returned to Moscow with a concrete plan, including
an assurance that a popular uprising would greet the North Korean Army.
Still, Khrushchev reports, "Stalin had his doubts. He was worried that the
Americans would jump in. " He decided to consult with Mao, who had been in
Moscow during the time Kim Il Sung's plans were being reviewed. The Chinese
leader was all for the action and Stalin then gave his final approval."

*p300-301, The Cambridge Spies;
The Untold Story of Maclean, Philby, and Burgess in America
Verne W. Newton

Then Stalin reportedly asked Kim, " Don't blame me when you have bloody
nose."

**In his *Reminiscences *MacArthur observes that after the war an official
leaflet by Lin Piao published in China reads; " I would never have made the
attack and risked my men and military reputation if I had not been assured
that Washington would restrain General MacArthur from taking adequate
retaliatory measures against my line of supply and communication"

** Reminiscences
Douglas MacArthur

It was definitely Lin Piao = Lin Biao =
林彪<http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?cdqchi=%E6%9E%97%E5%BD%AA>=
임표 not Peng Dehuai =
彭德懷<http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?cdqchi=%E5%BD%AD%E5%BE%B7%E6%87%B7>
= 팽덕회 who made the above statement. (Sorry, I misspelled Piao as Pioa.)

Thank you.

Kwang-On Yoo
유 광언