[KS] Korean vocalizing

Hilary V. Finchum-Sung finchumsung at snu.ac.kr
Wed Jul 28 10:12:37 EDT 2010

Just to add a bit...climbing mountains and shouting 'yaho!' is a favorite way to spend mornings, especially for males of the 50 and older set (it seems).  Since we live by Gwanaksan, we hear the climbers' calls every morning, beginning at about sun-up to 10 or as late as 11 am (but I'm sure this continues throughout the day, just more noticeable in the am when it is quiet out).

I concur with Roger.  It seems to be some sort of vocal exercise, something to energize one's self (or at least that's how it was explained to me).  A lot of people I know believe that being in or around mountains can energize a person, so perhaps the shouting enhances that.

I'm not sure of the origins of this practice in Korea, or why shouting 'yaho' is the way to do it.

Hilary Finchum-Sung