[KS] Korean vocalizing

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Wed Jul 28 10:25:30 EDT 2010

The question awoke memories and if I were not currently in Europe I might have got up early and gone out to listen. Certainly in decades past Koreans used to bellow "Ya-hooo" or something like that from the top of even the smallest slope during their early-morning stroll and we could even hear them on the hill behind our house; I suppose it was considered to be lung-enhancing as well as an expression of satisfaction at being on top of things. But the question made me wonder whether it is still being done and I have grown deaf, or whether it went the way of the churches' electronic chimes which were so much a part of the early morning (and evening) soundscape in the 1980s. I do hope someone can write more informatively. Pansori? No!  And not all-night prayer sessions screaming "Aboji!" in front of a rock, either, though that too used to be popular and noisy.

Brother Anthony
Sogang University, Seoul
http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/