[KS] re uri

Kyungmi Chun kyungmic at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 24 19:39:34 EDT 2010

There are several Korean etymological dictionaries written in Korean.
One way of finding them is to perform a keyword search for 'Korean
etymology dictionaries' in FirstSearch (WorldCat). One of the
dictionaries is:

Title: Uri mal ŭi ppuri rŭl ch'ajasŏ: Han'gugŏ ŏwŏn sajŏn (Chŭngbop'an)
Author: Paek, Mun-sik
Publication: Sŏul Tŭkpyŏlsi: Samgwang Ch'ulp'ansa, 2006

Its entry for '우리' on page 398 mentions that it is equivalent to
Hyangch'al 吾里; Japanese wa[我, 吾], ware, udi; and Mongolian uru-q(親戚).

WorldCat also retrieves an English dictionary of Korean etymology. Since
Stanford does not own the book, I did not check the contents.

Title: Studies in Korean etymology (2 vols.)
Author: Ramstedt, G. J.; Aalto, Pentti
Publication: Helsinki: Suomalais-ugrilainen Seura, 1949-1953

Kyungmi Chun
Korean Studies Librarian
East Asia Library
Meyer Library Bldg. 4th Floor