[KS] re uri

Robert Ramsey ramsey at umd.edu
Thu Jun 24 23:26:34 EDT 2010

Dear Ms. Chun (and List),

Thank you for those references; they are useful to linguists (including me).
But I suspect they are not quite what Will was looking for.  Most likely he
was talking about a Korean equivalent of the OED, and on that score he was
absolutely right; there is no etymological reference like that for Korean.

The works you mention may be titled "etymological" dictionaries, but in fact
they are not lists of documented etymologies per se, but rather compilations
of various etymological hypotheses that have been put forward for each
lexical item. The example you cite illustrates well what I mean by that:  In
various sources 우리 has often been compared to the cited Japanese and
Mongolian words, but those connections are completely hypothetical (어원설, in
other words), just as are (at least so far) the comparisons of the Korean
language to Japanese and Altaic (including Mongolian) more generally.   (As
an aside I might mention that the nearest Japanese equivalent to the OED,
the Nihon gokugo daijiten, gives explicit recognition to the hypothetical
status of Japanese "etymologies" by listing and labeling them gogensetsu 語言
説.)

I suggest that perhaps a better source along the lines I believe Will is
looking for might simply be the 3-volume Korean dictionary, 표준 국어 대사전
published by the 국립 국어 연구원.  All the historical forms noted there are ones
with solid documentation.  In addition, a very useful resource (though
limited in terms of lexical size) is Lee Ki-Moon's 國語語彙史硏究. The
documentation there is generally impeccable.  Finally I should note that
Professor Lee has been at work on a true Korean etymological dictionary for
a couple of decades now.  He's a bit evasive whenever I ask him when that
volume, which he says now represents his "life's work", might be published.
But when it does appear, I feel confident it will be a quantum leap ahead
toward that reference work we all--including Will--have long been looking
for.

Robert Ramsey