[KS] re uri

johnfrankl at yahoo.com johnfrankl at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 25 01:18:54 EDT 2010

This is very interesting, but I am not certain it provides any sort of etymology:

"Its entry for '우리' on page 398 mentions that it is equivalent to Hyangch'al 吾里; Japanese wa[我, 吾], ware, udi; and Mongolian uru-q(親戚)."

The Hyangch'al "ori" is just an attempt at representing the word "uri" before Korea had its own writing system.

The parts about Japanese and Mongolian are only telling if some context is provided. Does the work posit that "uri," "ware," "udi," and "uru-q" are cognates? If so, is an origin posited?

JMF