[KS] 4.19?

dmccann at fas.harvard.edu dmccann at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 22 17:07:31 EDT 2010

My wife and I were walking through some of the Revolutionary War sites in
Concord this past week, and there was a sign about the battle at the bridge.
The date April 19 leaped out at me, but I have in the interval been told there
is no link at all between the date in 1960 when Korean history changed and the
date in 1775 when American history did the same.  But I do recall the study
published some decades ago about the students who took part in the Korean
Student Revolution and their sense of disillusionment at the gap between what
they were learning about U.S. history and what they saw around them in Korea at
that time.

I realize it is going a long way back, to notice a time when U.S. history meant
what it seemed to re democratic ideals.

So is it just a coincidence, that date?

David McCann
Harvard University