[KS] origins of segyehwa motto

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Thu May 20 06:37:48 EDT 2010

Dear Yun Mi Hwang:

Not sure if this helps ... some time ago I had the 'globalization'
slogans researched a little in connection with an exhibition review.
 From my notes I can filter this much out:

The slogan "?? ???? ?? ?? ???? ???" is in Korea widely said to have
been derived from a sentence written by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe:
"?? ???? ?? ???? ?". I intentionally leave this in Korean though,
because I was not able to track this down in available indicies and
databases. This is speculation, but I believe that it is not a Goethe
quote, rather a kind of shabby and sloppy "summary" of the following
quote from Goethe's _Wilhelm Meisters Wanderjahre_:

"Es gibt keine patriotische Kunst und keine patriotische Wissenschaft.
Beide gehören, wie alles hohe Gute der ganzen Welt an (...)."
IN ENGLISH: "There is no patriotic art and no patriotic science. Both
belong, like all high good, to the whole world (...)."
This is often quoted as is -- not in full, as that would be more complicated:
"Es gibt keine patriotische Kunst und keine patriotische Wissenschaft.
Beide gehören wie alles hohe Gute der ganzen Welt an und können nur
durch allgemeine freie Wechselwirkung aller zugleich Lebenden in
steter Rücksicht auf das, was uns vom Vergangenen =FCbrig und bekannt
ist, gefördert werden."

Well, well ... "there is no patriotic art" -- that is just not
patriotic enough, isn't it?

Here is another fortune cookie Goethe verdict ...
... even Dappa_Dan thinks it's cool :)
http://twitter.com/Dappa_Dan/status/6420795699

"Patriotismus verdirbt die Geschichte."
("Patriotism ruins history.")