[KS] origins of segyehwa motto

Tobias Lehmann Tobias53 at gmx.de
Thu May 20 09:31:45 EDT 2010

Hi Yun Mi,

As far as I know Kim Young Sam discussed his perspective of globalization in Sydney at a press conference with Korean journalists firstly, not in Seoul. But don't ask me for the reason.

I recommend you to read Shin Gi-Wook's last chapter "Between Nationalism and Globalization" in his great book "Ethnic Nationalism in Korea." You find some readable additional literature (in Korean) which may (or may not) help you. Also recommendable is Alford's "Think no evil." The subtitle already says a lot: "Korean Values in the Age of Globalization." Read chapter six and seven. He writes about the connection of globalization and evil (ak) from a political theorist's viewpoint.

There are other Korean terms which have a similar meaning but different connotation for the common Korean (if there is something like that): There is the term "kukchehwa" which may be best translated as "internalization" and the term "kujojojeong" (restructuring) which was coined by Kim Young Sam's immediate successor, the recently deceased Kim Dae Jung.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

--
Tobias Lehmann

Sogang University
Graduate School of International Studies (GSIS)
East-Asian Studies

Shinsu-dong 89-85,
Mapo-gu
Seoul 121-854