[KS] origins of segyehwa motto

YM Clara Hwang sumovmi at hotmail.com
Sun May 30 06:21:37 EDT 2010

Thanks Kent, Tobias and Frank for the helpful comments. So my search for '가장 한국적인 것이 가장 세계적이다/gajang hangukjeogingeosi gajang segyejeogingeosida' continues. I think it's just fascinating that a phrase so indiscrminately used by academics, journalists and policy makers, has such murky origins. Just simply saying the words would give instant confirmation on the 'universal uniqueness' of Korean culture. The connection with Goethe is compelling and I wish I can find a quote that sounds more similar to the Korean phrase. So I'm all ears for suggestions and comments. Please e-mail me at sumovmi at hotmail.com if you like.

Regards,
Yun Mi Hwang