[KS] request for help to verify a birth date

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Tue Nov 2 06:03:21 EDT 2010

Hi :

There are several authors pointing to 1902 as her year of birth.
Hô Chông-suk's far famous father, the leftist
lawyer Hô Hôn, a native of North Hamgyông
Province, was only born in 1885. That would make
him only 16 or 17 when he became Chông-suk's
father. At that time it would have been a quite
common case, as boys were still being married at
rather young age.

Hô Chông-suk's younger sister, Hô Kûn-uk, went to
the South during the Korean War and had a career
as a writer here. Her article "My father Hô Hôn
and my older sister Hô Chông-suk" appeared in
_Yôksa pip'yông_, two years after Sô Hyông-sil's
1992 piece on Hô Chông-suk, in the same journal
(_Yôksa pip'yông_, vol. 19, 1992, pp. 278-287,
and vol. 26, 1994, pp. 211-232). I only have the
Sô article in front of me. Sô is pretty decisive
about the birth date and place: 1902 in Myông-jôn
in North Hamgyông Province -- and then goes on
about her communist activities right from the
beginning of the 1920s. Of course, if she were
born in 1908, then that would make her a very
youthful heroine, probably too young for her
activities.

In any case, I suppose her own sister should get
the year right ... writing from South Korea after
her sister's death, and under no pressure to see
her sister compete with Kim Il Sung in terms of
youthful heroism. But I don't have vol. 26 of
_Yôksa pip'yông_ at hand -- maybe someone else on
the list has.

http://www.dbpia.co.kr/view/ar_view.asp?arid=8974

Best,
Frank