[KS] assessing historical meanings - Mr. Yoon

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Tue Sep 7 22:33:49 EDT 2010

>do we have any realistic idea about how many people in China and
>Korea actually learned about Mr. Yoon's act at the time?

If you read some of the reminiscences of former independence
activists (many have been published over the years in China and South
Korea) as well as various source materials of the time, you will find
that Yun Ponggil's bombing did have significant influences: for
example, Chinese Guomindang and Communist groups were now willing to
work with the Koreans and began to include Korean units in their
armies or otherwise cooperated with them. It can well be argued that
this was one of the aims of this and earlier failed such
attacks--this becomes again clear if you read through various letters
and memorials of Korean independence activists in China, talking
about the distrust of the Chinese towards them (before Yun's
bombing). Koreans were till then often seen as possible agents of the
Japanese, and in some cases that was of course also the case. If you
further follow the incidents that let up to the occupation of
Manchuria by the Japanese (that were taken as a pretext), the
so-called "Wanpaoshan Incident" (Manpozan jiken), you will then find
that the dual citizenship status of Koreans in parts of China and the
clever Japanese concept of "Divide and Rule" had given the Chinese
plenty of reasons to distrust Koreans. Korean groups in Shanghai and
Manchuria tried to overcome those obstacles in working with the
Chinese to get their support, partially by trying to *prove* that
they were worth to be supported (to then again help the Korean
cause). In this series of actions Yun's bombing was probably the most
significant one. And yes, it really did change Chinese attitudes
toward the Koreans at the time, there is no doubt about that. As for
media coverage, the bombing made it to the front pages of many major
Asian newspapers. All details were very well covered.

Again about Chinese resistance: That was not any weaker than the
Korean resistance. The point, as argued before, is rather that
Communist historians are emphasizing group activities and Communist
Party activities, not the activities of nationalist or anarchist
groups or of individuals. The Communists were early on able to create
military units to fight the Japanese. That is another reason why
desperate single-handed acts were not 'necessary' for the
Chinese--other than for the Koreans, who needed (a) to woo for
Chinese support in their cause, while (b) also proving they are no
Japanese spies, and (c) had not the military means to make a dent
into the Japanese Empire, thus were mostly limited to symbolic and
anarchist acts.

Best,
Frank