[KS] assessing historical meanings - Mr. Yoon

Vladimir Tikhonov vladimir.tikhonov at ikos.uio.no
Wed Sep 8 05:05:40 EDT 2010

Dear all,

It looks very unfortunate to me that one very principled and rather
balanced contemporaneous evaluation of Yun Pong'gil's act seemingly
evades the attention of the discussants here. I am thinking about Pak
HOnyOng, the then Moscow-based Korean Communist leader, who, in his July
1932 piece, "What the Shanghai Bombing Incident Means?", gave a judgment
of Yun's act which still seems to be surprisingly well-measured. He did
not see it as "violence", of course, since the actions of the Japanese
military were incomparably more violent; he even mentioned that the
"incident" was a "joyful occasion", quite understandable impression from
the viewpoint of the citizens of an occupied country. But he judged it
to be not only of little use in the course of working classes'
anti-imperialist struggle, but also directly harmful, since it was
inculcating the illusions of individual struggle in the minds of the
people, essentially putting an obstacle on the way of the more organized
class resistance. He also foresaw that Yun's act would be politically
used by the extreme right-wingers among the China-based Korean emigres
for their own self-advancement. I am afraid that there is little to add
to this analysis even now - yes, Yun's act was, of course, seen as
legitimate by the majority of politically conscious Chinese and Koreans;
but it hardly had any direct relationship to the real-life struggles of
the majority of the colonized Korean population - striking workers,
tenants on dispute, striking school pupils etc.

Vladimir/Noja

--
Vladimir Tikhonov,
Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages,

http://www.geocities.com/volodyatikhonov/volodyatikhonov.html
Electronic classrooms: East Asian/Korean Society and Politics:
                        http://folk.uio.no/vladimit/eastasianstudies.htm
                        http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2002/main.html
                        East Asian/Korean Religion and Philosophy:

http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2003/classroom.html