[KS] assessing historical meanings - Mr. Yoon

vladimir.tikhonov at ikos.uio.no vladimir.tikhonov at ikos.uio.no
Thu Sep 9 16:31:20 EDT 2010

Dear Frank (and all others),

sorry - it looks as if I did not manage to make it clear what I meant by
"misunderstanding". I did not intend to state that Yun's act was of no
consequence. It certainly was - for Kim Ku group's relations with its
senior partners from Guomindang (and some more sinister organizations,
like the unfamous Blue Shirts Society), for Kim Ku's authority among the
China-based Korean nationalist and (partly) anarchist militants, for the
general "encouragement" of the nationalist spirit among the middle-class
public inside Korea etc. There is no doubt that all this is important for
history. What I am afraid, however, is that we will allow the people who
planned Yun's act, and then politically and propagandistically used it -
mostly middle-class nationalist public - speak for the "(Korean) people"
as a whole. Yes, there were certainly Koreans for whom Yun was (and is) a
hero - and there were (and there are) Koreans who saw it as rather a
distraction from the serious struggle for both social and national
liberation. The difference between the two groups is that the first one,
in the end, effectively silenced the second - at least, until the late
1980s. After 1945, the semi-cultic attitude toward Yun was promoted and
encouraged both by the nationalists who grouped around Kim Ku, by
Chokch'Ong ideologues (semi-fascist followers of Yi POmsOk), and also by
Tong'a Ilbo and Korean Democratic Party, who needed some national heroes
for public consumption, since they themselves, given the amount of sake
they regularly drank at Sotokofu parties, simply did not fir into this
role. So venerable Tonga came very soon editorializing on the
world-historical and universal ethical significance of Yun's "righteous
exploit" (April 30, 1946) - just as a general witchhunt against the
Southern Communists, all their past efforts in the underground resistance
notwithstanding, was being prepared.

Just to summarise - I do not doubt the historical significance of Yun's
action, but I am very afraid of oversizing it - and falling into the trap
of the right-wing nationalist/official South Korean propaganda. After all,
Kim Ilsung's Poch'Onbo raid also had some historical significance (was
reported by Tonga Ilbo and served to "lift up the spirits", so to say) -
which doesn't mean that you have to take seriously the North Korean
descriptions of it as an epic battle. And I certainly do not identify
myself fully with Pak HOnyOng and his opinions (conditioned as they were
by the circumstances of time and place - Moscow, 1932, was not a
particularly good place for free and independent thinkers), but I have no
doubt that he authentically attempted to articulate the interests of
Korea's downtrodden as best as he could.

Best,

Vladimir/Noja