[KS] cultural object circulation in the late Choson Dynasty query (Jamie Jungmin Yoo)

Jamie Jungmin Yoo yoo at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 30 16:19:11 EDT 2010

   Dear Professor Schmid and all,

First of all, thank you for brining this topic. I'm currently preparing
for my dissertation on book circulations and production of literature,
ex. hansi, in the 18th century. I'm in the beginning stage of my
research and hope to learn from many other advanced scholars by sharing
my idea.

For my research, I plan to consider these subtopics: (1) travel writings
to Beijing, Yonhaengnok (???) for the book (and painting) acquisition
records in Beijing, (2) distribution of poetry communities in Seoul, for
tracking down the communication routes and their reading and sharing
practices; for example, Park Chiwon groups and Yi Dokmu groups (3)
social network analysis and GIS, as methodologies, in order to find any
patterns and to map their communication modes, and (4) finally, paradigm
shift and change of aesthetic taste of late Choson literati, if I can
find any..

The reason I didn't include the market issue in this lineup is that,
first of all, from my limited knowledge, I observe that informal and
community level circulation/sharing was much more commonplace (and
important) than commercial circulations, at least in the case of
production of knowledge and book circulations. By the same token,
manuscripts/handwriting practices played a quite bigger role than the
government oriented printing business. This "fluidity" issue could be
considered, of course, just as generic nature of textual
production/transmission and also there would be much more complexity in
the canon formation process, but I think local level sharing should be
included in our consideration to picture the circulation practice of the
18^th C.

Secondly, as Professor Ledyard mentioned, "trades" with China will be
important. It looks like cultural boundaries between China and Korea
were much more fluid (again), than political boundaries, or than modern
ones drawn from our perspectives. I haven't found sufficient Yonhaengnok
records which reveal exact prices for the items traded between Chinese
and Korean during the yonhaeng, but still noticed "exchange" was
commonplace, in various quite private unofficial levels.

For the resources, I've mostly consulted individual collections, Munjip,
and Yonhaengnok records. I hope to learn more about this topic. I'm in
the beginning stage of my study and feel rather puzzled to get an
overall picture of the past.

Best Wishes,

Jamie Jungmin Yoo
Ph.D. candidate