[KS] Chunhwado

Tommy tommychevorst at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 20:51:19 EDT 2011

from Jinhee Choi's _The South Korean Film Renaissance_:

"/Chunhwado/ is a euphemism for obscene painting, the literal
translation of which is the painting of "spring" and "flower."
/Chunhwado/ depicts undressed women or a couple making love,
representing a folk/counterculture that makes a satire of the strictness
and pretension of Confucian heritage in Joseon society" (p. 150).

I'll re-watch /Untold Scandal/ tonight, as it's the inspiration for the
above interpretation.

As a scholar with interests in feminism, pornography, and
counterculture, I'm fascinated by this art form.  Can any members of the
list enlighten me as to sources for reproductions of such works?  I have
found a few here and there, in particular in Ee Jae In's _Erotica of
Korea_, but I'm eager to learn more.

--
Tommy Vorst
Ph.D. Researcher in TESOL, University of Auckland
tommychevorst at gmail.com