[KS] Vale: Ken Gardiner

Best, Jonathan jbest at wesleyan.edu
Sun Aug 7 12:04:48 EDT 2011

Thank you for this memorial posting on Ken Gardiner, although I am saddened to learn of his passing. He was a vanguard scholar in the non-nationalistic, open-minded study of early Korean history. When I was a graduate student his scholarship was, and it remains to this day, an inspiration to me. Although castigated or dismissed by a number of Korean historians over the years as being unduly influenced by Japanese scholarship, this was not only unjustified in his case, but has become overtime the cant response of some in Korea to any interpretation that deviates, however insightfully and however well documented, from the received in-house interpretational line. His fundamental reliance on evidence from a wide range of primary sources critically read should be an inspiration to us all, his critics in particular.

Jonathan Best