[KS] Vale: Ken Gardiner

Dane Alston dane.alston at anu.edu.au
Sat Aug 6 07:11:00 EDT 2011

Dear Korean Studies Colleagues,

Last week Professor Ken Gardiner passed away. He was not only a pioneer in pre-modern Korean studies, but was one of the earliest teachers of Korean history at ANU. Please find below the message circulated through ANU.

Regards,

Dane Alston
PhD Candidate

Dear Colleagues:

It
 is with sadness that I note the passing of our former colleague Ken
Gardiner.  Ken worked in the Faculty of Asian Studies (actually one of
the first hires for the Faculty of Oriental Studies) teaching and
researching on China and ancient Korea.  He was a civilized gentleman
with broad interests and is warmly remembered by both former colleagues
and students alike.  More details on his life are at http://www.heidesmith.com/Dr_Ken_Gardiner.html.

The funeral will be held at Norwood on Friday at 3pm. (any questions may be directed to Clayton Perry Funerals (62414101)).

Best regards.

Kent

Professor Kent Anderson

Director, School of Culture, History and Language

ANU College of Asia & the Pacific and ANU College of Law

The Australian National University

Canberra, ACT 0200

tel +61-[0]2-6125 5125

mob +61-[0]432 755 460