[KS] -열 / -렬 (question to linguists & Korean native speakers)

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Thu Dec 1 11:18:21 EST 2011

Thanks for your time. However, *my* question is still open.

1. The North/South difference was not the issue ... I tried to expain that.
2. Transcription into the Latin alpahbet was not the issue either.
3. 金昌烈 was just an example (although a good one, and one where this
just came up again).

Let me try again -- and let me say sorry to not have been explicit enough:
Is there any sort of orthographic rule in SOUTH Korea of how to
transcribe Hanja that can have initials ㄹ or ㅇ (e.g. 烈) when those
appear in personal names? I apologize if I am not using the correct
terminology. Therefore again my EXAMPLE (just an example):
The painter 金昌烈 seems to prefer writing his own name as 김창열 -- that is
at least how it appears on his home page at
http://www.kimtschang-yeul.com/html/profile.html Yet, many websites
and also books I have refer to him as 김창렬 -- see for example, another
entry on his very own home page
http://www.kimtschang-yeul.com/html/board/read.asp?id=243&read=8779
suddenly changes this to "김창렬".
Or see here:
http://www.chungjark.com/artists-kimchangryul.htm
It seems 50:50.
The same is true for other people with an identical name ... and also
for others with other Hanja parts of their name were these
alternatives are possible.

There are no orthographic rules then?
And as a 2nd add-on questions: if there are no such rules, there are
as a consequence none for how to handle that when we mention such
names in our writings in English, French, German ..., yes? (Fine with
me, just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything I should know.)

Best,
Frank