[KS] more on personal names & the initial consonant rule

Byeong-uk Yi b.yi at utoronto.ca
Thu Dec 1 23:45:22 EST 2011

Dear Frank (if I may),

Thank you for the interesting question. Being a native speaker of Korean
but not a linguist, I had learned something about but did not know as
much as I should have of the complexity of the South Korean orthography
for Chinese charactersstarting with l/r- . I think earlier responses to
your inquiry, especially those by Mr. Hyoungbae Lee and Mr Hang Ryeol
Na, give enough information about the orthography. Just in case you or
anyone else might be interested in more details, let me mention some
works that I managed to skim through in the meantime:

1.http://www.hangul.or.kr/12b-1-5.htm

2.Iksop Lee & S. Robert Ramsey, The Korean Language (State University of
New York Press, 2000), pp. 73-74 (“restrictions on initial constants’).

3.Samuel E. Martin, A Reference Grammar of Korean (Charles E. Tuttle,
1992), pp. 15-17 (initial l- and r-)

(1), which is written in Korean, is Hangeul Foundation’s site explaining
the Standard South Korean orthography (the “Unified System”) relating to
the initial constant rule (두음법칙). (2) gives an account of the
phonetic phenomenon that underlies the SK orthography. (3), which
considers both the SK and NK orthographic systems, gives a more detailed
account of the phenomenon, and of exceptions or inconsistencies of the
systems.

All three works note that there are special problems with writing in
Hangeul Korean personal names, most of which are based on Chinese
characters. Your case of金昌烈illustrates the problem well. If one
applies the SK orthography, it should be, I think, 김창렬. While some
with the name write the name in this way, others (including, it seems,
the painter) may write it as김창열. Given the circumstance, it is
understandable that some sites write even the name of the painter 김창열
as김창렬.

Incidentally, the Hangeul site (1) holds that the SK “Unified System” is
not meant to (or should not) dictate how people should write (or
pronounce) their names, which seems reasonable to me.

Please let me know if you have any further questions I might be able to
answer. If anyone on the list cannot read (1) and have no easy access to
(2) or (3), I will be happy to help them to access relevant portions of
(2) and (3).

Byeong-uk Yi

P.S. This is my first posting on the list, which I recently joined in
andgreatlyenjoyed. I wish to thank all other members.

--
Byeong-uk Yi
Department of Philosophy

Plurality in Classifier Languages