[KS] -열 / -렬 (question to linguists & Korean native speakers)

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Fri Dec 2 00:39:51 EST 2011

Thank you all!

Hang Ryeol Na wrote:
>> So I agree with you it is confusing many times, and I think it is
>> getting even more as we use more languages such as English to refer
>> to Korean people’s names.

Actually not at all confusing anymore now -- it then simply means
there is nothing regulating the pronunciation (resp. writing in
Han'gul) for personal names. That answers my question. Had a
suspicion, but was not at all sure about it.

Hyoungbae Lee wrote:
>> I didn't know the posting is not real time. (...)
>> And yes, there is a rule. Otherwise it would be chaotic.

My own LAST post was also written before seeing e.g. the reply by
Hang Ryeol, which makes mine look strange now.
As for the "there seems no rule" note--I meant to refer to PERSONAL
NAMES only. The whole question was only as regards to personal names.
And yes, that means there is no rule regulating this case (same with
transcriptions into Latin letters), variations are possible, as an
individual choice. That very point though is also very interesting:
seems a bit of a remainder of pre-modern society right here.

Again thanks!

Fran(c)k Hoffman(n)
  (...haven't decided yet)