[KS] -열 / -렬 (question to linguists & Korean native speakers)

skhwang3 at gmail.com skhwang3 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 12:49:24 EST 2011

두음법칙 (such as changing from 창렬 to 창열) is used in South Korea, but not in
North Korea. It seemed like the rule was first introduced in 1933 and
continued to exist in
the South--with some confusion and disagreement. Names would be the
exceptions, so
there are people like 유시민 and 류시원. 김창렬 and 김창열 also seem to follow this
arbitrary rule, so I am guessing that it is up to the individual to pick
and choose. Insofar
as last names are concerned, keeping up with 두음법칙 is no longer expected as
of
2007 or 2008--even for 리's and 량's.

Best,

Su-kyoung