[KS] Is the Wikipedia article on the Tancheon "charcoal stream" myth correct?

ifenkl at aol.com ifenkl at aol.com
Sun Dec 4 20:02:46 EST 2011

One of the things that confirms its folkloric nature is the elegance of the associative wordplay,
based largely on plot-related homophones. (This is generally indicative of an oral tale told
many times or one written down by literati.)

Dongbang Sak (born on the first day of the month, associated with the east and north, suckling, dissolve), eating
the peaches of Seo Wang Mo (associated with west and mother), is finally found out
at Tancheon and must die (associated with auspicious south-facing grave).
Tancheon's surface reading is "charcoal stream," but TAN has lots of homophones that
go with the plot of the story. The relevant ones:
CHARCOAL
LAMENT
AVOID
FINISHED
DECEIVE
TO BE BORN
And, oddly enough, "tan'no nada" means "to be found out," as Sak is at the river.
This is especially elegant, since his advanced age may be due to a typo in Lord Yama's
book of death. (A charcoal smudge -- 1,000 made from "tan"? It also explains why it is so imperative for the
problem to be corrected, since Yama is a bureaucrat, per Ku'unmong).
At the river, which he should have avoided, Sak laments because his deception is found
out, and he expires with a sigh....
If I were still a graduate student, I would be compelled to write a paper about this.
-HIF