[KS] U.S. involvement in the Gwangju Uprising

Matt VanVolkenburg mattvanv at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 6 10:38:44 EST 2011

It was actually me Scott quoted about the Pusan Masan uprising regarding there being no deaths. At the time (4 years ago) I had read James Fowler's essay The United States and South Korean Democratization [from The New American Interventionism: Essays from Political Science Quarterly, Demetrios James Caraley, editor (Columbia University Press), 1999.] which was based a great deal on declassified cables between the embassy and state department. Here's the relevant part:

"On 4 October, Kim Young Sam was expelled from the National
Assembly. Radicals responded in kind on 17 October, when 12,000 students took a
demonstration to downtown Pusan
where as many as five students were killed and 500 arrested.6
Though the Park government was very used to dealing with student protests,
these demonstrations were much larger in scope and received widespread support
from citizens other than students.7
and Masan, the
Park government declared martial law for the region including and immediately
surrounding the two cities."

Note 6:Telegram from Gleysteen to Vance, “Situation in Pusan Following Declaration of Martial Law,”
18 October 1979.  Note 7:Telegram from Gleysteen to Vance, “More on Pusan
Demonstration; Demonstration at EWHA University in Seoul,”
17 October 1979.

An (admittedly cursory) bit of research into those protests did not turn up any confirmation of deaths, which I would have assumed would be widespread knowledge after 30 years. However, after reading your posting, I found an Ohmynews article from a month ago about the 'first confirmed death' from that time:

32년만에 드러난 진실... 부마항쟁 사망자 첫 확인

http://www.ohmynews.com/NWS_Web/view/at_pg.aspx?CNTN_CD=A0001620595

As for other sources on the Kwangju uprising, one story that has never really been focused on is that of the Peace Corps volunteers in the city. Two have since spoken out, with Tim Warnberg writing one of the first English language essays on the uprising ("The Kwangju Uprising: An Inside View", Korean Studies, v.11, 1987). It still stands out due to the fact he was there, and could report things like this:

"[On May 26] I walked to the hospital where I worked and talked to one of
 the doctors from the Dermatology Department.  He had been on assignment
 at the military hospital on the edge of town, and reported seeing fifty
 bodies airlifted from the military hospital morgue in a one hour
period."

One wonders if these bodies were ever accounted for.

The other PCV who has spoken out is David Dollinger, whose accounts of the uprising can be read here:
http://518folkschool.blogspot.com/2005/11/eyewitness-testimony-of-david-dolinger.html
http://www.rjkoehler.com/2006/05/18/ghosts-of-gwangju/#comment-36329

As well, his account of his dealings with USIS, the peace corps office, and the embassy during and after the uprising is interesting:
http://populargusts.blogspot.com/2010/06/park-chung-hees-act-of-terrorism.html?showComment=1276519957503#c7651287543758252542

I've been told his presence in the Provincial Hall during the uprising led Chun to want to boot the Peace Corps out of Korea as quickly as possible.

-Matt