[KS] the General Sherman

Matthew Smith matthewlynnsmith at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 6 17:49:13 EST 2011

Thanks to all who have chimed in so far.

The requested references that Southerton cites are:
Lytle, Merchant Steam Vessels of the U.S.: 1790-1868, p.198
Heyle, Early American Steamers

I have contacted the blogger whose post Brother Anthony shared (http://tinyurl.com/generalsherman) but I haven't receieve a response yet. I'd like to know his source, too.
 As I had previously suspected, it seems the General Sherman was indeed burned in 1866 in Korea and never did return to American shores. In addition to several convincing sources listed, according to a translation of "Kojong Sil-rok": "The enemy ship was totally burned down and there remained only her iron ribs that looked like posts driven into the ground."
 However, my new question is this:

Which General Sherman can be found in Cape Fear's waters today and which General Sherman was destroyed completely in Korea?
 I chalk up the confusion to a handful of identically named but clearly different ships having their histories mistakenly weaved together; one ship being 774 tons while another weighing in at 187 tons. The larger ship was built in 1861 in Scotland and the smaller one in 1864 in Tennessee. So which one is our 1866 Korean incident one?

Because according to this alleged photo of the USS Princess Royal (http://www.gregormacgregor.com/Tod&Macgregor/princess_royal.jpg ), it looks strikingly similar to the one that supposedly is sunk off the Carolina coast. Shouldn't this have been the same ship, later renamed the General Sherman, that was obliterated in 1866? Am I missing something?
source: http://www.gregormacgregor.com/Tod&Macgregor/princess_royal_115.htm

*Matthew Smith*

Message: 2