[KS] What is the history and use of charcoal in South Korea?

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Fri Dec 9 13:50:51 EST 2011

In case your interest in charcoal also extends north
of the DMZ, you may care to take a deep breath,
cover your mouth, hold your nose and contemplate
North Korea's surely unique (in 2011) contribution  to
energy inefficiency, forest depletion, and air  pollution
- three hits in one! - namely, charcoal-burning  trucks:

_http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/03/03/2010030301014.html_

(http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/03/03/2010030301014.html)

They actually boast about this, as I noted some years  ago:

_http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Korea/DH14Dg01.html_
(http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Korea/DH14Dg01.html)

A more academic account, with pictures, is at
_http://japanfocus.org/-Peter-Hayes/3233_
(http://japanfocus.org/-Peter-Hayes/3233)

Unbelievable but true, like much else about the  DPRK.

Kind regards
Aidan FC

Aidan  Foster-Carter
Honorary Senior Research  Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds
University, UK
E: _afostercarter at aol.com_ (mailto:afostercarter at aol.com)
_afostercarter at yahoo.com_ (mailto:afostercarter at yahoo.com)    W: _www.aidanfc.net_
(http://www.aidanfc.net/)