[KS] charcoal in yeontans?

Kay Richards Gmail richards.kyungnyun at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 18:12:16 EST 2011

Re: [KS] charcoal in yeontans?I hope this will reach the list members.

I am of the generation who was born before the Korean War and have a memory of not only the use of oak-chacoal in small cooking stoves called Poong-Ro and even smaller pieces put in the center heating element of the Shin-Seol-Lo on guests' tables.  The yeontan with 19holes which used to be called sip-gu-gong-tan as opposed to the Gu-Gong-Tan (9 hole coal briquettes) appeared only after the Korean War.  I don't exactly remember the year but probably close to the end of 50s if not early 60s.  The burned ash briquettes used to line the alley ways in residential areas in Seoul.  Some of the ashes used to be scattered in the middle of the streets to make the icy (frozen) surfaces less slippery for the automobiles.

In my very deep memory, we, the Korean elementary students were taught that in Silla Dynasty, people had such a wonderful life that they cooked with charcoal and there was no smoke in Sorabol, which is now Kyong-Joo.  Whether what we were taught in the sixth grade Korean history class was true or not, charcoal in Korea must have had more history than what we remember from the latter half of the 20th Centry.

Just adding my two-cents worth to all your wonderful comings and goings.

Kay RichardsKyung-Nyun Kim Richards
Poet/Translator (Korean Lit.)
3126 Eton Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705