[KS] Museum Buildings

gkl1 at columbia.edu gkl1 at columbia.edu
Sat Feb 5 21:47:41 EST 2011

Hats off to Hyung Il Pai for bringing some order to all of these museums!

It might be useful to note, however, that Yi EUn, the 3rd son of King
Kojong (by Kojong's second consort Lady Om), was not the last king of
Korea. That would have been his elder half brother (by Queen Min),
Sunjong (Yi ChOk), r. 1907-10. Hyung Il misled by EUn's formal
designation "YOng Chinwang." But in this case the Wang element does
not mean "king". After Kojong became Emperor (1897), his sons were
designated with the "wang" element, which now meant "prince". EUn was
indeed exiled to Japan in 1907, after he had been designated Crown
Prince to Sunjong. The exile of Yi EUn specifically meant that King
Sunjong would have no heir and that the ChosOn dynasty would be over
when he died. In Japan Yi EUn was forced to marry a Japanese Princess,
Masako. When Yi Un permanently returned to Korea in 1960, she came
with him and Koreanized her name to Yi Pangja. Un died in 1970, and
she remained in Korea afterward. A few years later she wrote an
interesting memoir of their life together. Among other things, she
frankly recognized that her husband was a hostage, which she
considered unjust. She said that this sad fact aroused her sympathy
for him long before they were finally married in 1920.

Gari Ledyard