[KS] Call for Papers

Hilary V. Finchum-Sung finchumsung at snu.ac.kr
Mon Feb 7 03:14:15 EST 2011

(Although not the purpose of this posting, I just want to briefly thank those on the list who spread the news regarding JaHyun Kim Haboush's passing.  I was very sad to hear this. She was a great scholar and an inspiration for many a young scholar.)

Please forward the following call for papers to those who may be interested.  Contact me directly if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Hilary Finchum-Sung

제11회 동양음악 연구소 국제학술대회

East Asian Music Research Institute
11th International Symposium
Call for Papers
“Traditions and Transitions: Traditional Music Education in Asia”
The East Asian Music Research Institute will hold its biennial international symposium on September 2, 2011. The meeting will take place on the campus of Seoul National University in Seoul, South Korea. This year’s theme is “Traditions and Transitions: Traditional Music Education in Asia.”
Education in traditional performance practice remains a crucial factor in the continuation of a society’s musical heritage.  Government policies and institutionalization of form can aid preservation yet also present the danger of hindering vitality.  Rapidly changing cultural landscapes, as well, present us with the need to question how exclusive or inclusive we should be in both maintaining and developing traditional music education in the twenty-first century.  Proposals are encouraged on topics related to traditional music education across Asia. The goal of this international symposium is not only to provide scholars across the region a forum to present their research, but also an opportunity to engage in active discussion and debate.  Therefore, not only individual paper proposals, but also proposals for roundtable discussions and practical workshops linking research to practice are especially welcome.

The symposium will be conducted in both English and Korean.  Hotel accommodations and a small per diem will be provided for participants traveling from outside of Seoul. Paper presentations should be 20 minutes in length to be followed by up to 10 minutes chaired discussion time.

All abstracts must comply with the following requirements:

    Abstracts should appear as a single paragraph and be of no more than 300 words
    Abstracts should include the presenter’s name and institutional affiliation.
    Abstracts must be submitted via email to finchumsung at snu.ac.kr  by March 30, 2011

Friday, September 2, 2011 (Friday)
09:30~17:00
Kyujanggak Institute for Korean Studies, Seoul National University