[KS] Egypt and Gwangju 1980

don kirk kirkdon at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 09:39:05 EST 2011

Not to mention Indonesia 1966-67 ("Year of Living Dangerously"), Philippines
Jan-Feb 1986 ("People Power"), Tiananmen Square Beijing 1989, and, who would
forget, Korea June 1987 (Democracy constitution), to name a few I've seen and/or
written about. After all of those, and others, it's possible to wonder about
their real impact and outcome -- though Korea would seem to have worked out
better than most. (No doubt much too much to imagine anyone up North is about to
emulate the Egyptian experience after failing to follow the examples of the fall
of east bloc leadership circa 1990.)
Here's a link to further thoughts:
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Korea/MB12Dg01.html
Don Kirk