[KS] Egypt and Gwangju 1980

don kirk kirkdon at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 21:14:48 EST 2011

This analysis leaves out the tremendous regional influence that played into
Kwangju -- the sense in the Cholla region, southwest Korea, of dominance by the
crowd from in and around Taegu and the southeast as led by Park Chung Hee and
then Chun Doo Hwan and Roh Tae Woo. In all these posts, there's not been a word
about that. Yes, I was in Kwangju and Seoul at the time. The sense of unrest
spread to Seoul in enormous demos, but Kwangju as an uprising was essentially
confined and isolated -- and does not fit into any of these models or continuums
so readily.
Incidentally, I don't recall describing the crowds that surged through Kwangju
as "mobs." That's not to say that I didn't -- just that I don't recall. If you
could remind me of the reference, I'd appreciate it.
Don Kirk