[KS] Egypt and Gwangju 1980

george katsiaficas katsiaficasg at wit.edu
Wed Feb 16 06:58:19 EST 2011

To say "Kwangju as an uprising was essentially confined and isolated" may
have been true if considered solely within the framework of May 18 to May
27, 1980 (although even then, it not fully accurate as the armed uprising
spread to at least 17 other cities and towns in South Jeolla). Such a time
frame does not consider longitudinal impact of the Gwangju Uprising over the
following years and decades.

Gwangju was one of the key motivating reasons for the June Uprising of 1987
that won democracy as we know it in South Korea--as well as for a continuing
16-year long effort to bring to justice Chun and Roh (as well as the US--do
not forget the occupation of the Seoul US Cultural Center leading up to 1987
nor the parliamentary hearings after June). Na Kahn-chae's work about the
Gwangju Uprising considered over time is immensely important here.

Gwangju's impact was also present in the Philippines through DJ's
connections to Ninoy and Cory Aquino in the US (I have corroboration of at
least one breakfast in Newton, MA during their coterminous tenure at Harvard
as well as DJ's name with three phone numbers in Washington DC in Aquino's
address book in the family museum outside Manila). Gwangju inspired
activists in Tiananmen Square. At least one photo book was circulated among
student leaders during the occupation by a Korean student then studying at
Beijing U.

I could give many other specific examples of the impact of Gwangju over
time. I refer interested people to my forthcoming two-volume study, Asia's
Unknown Uprisings.

George