[KS] Egypt and Gwangju 1980

don kirk kirkdon at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 17:53:09 EST 2011

Thanks for pointing out that link. I was pretty sure I had not referred to the
demonstrators in Kwangju May 1980 as "mobs" or a "mob," and perusal of the piece
you cite offers the evidence, or lack of evidence. I did use the term in a most
general sense that you apparently don't like. Sorry about that.
Yes, one should always try to "go beyond" -- and beyond and beyond. This kind of
ornate attempt at categorizing and connecting gets so far beyond, however, as to
get out of touch with reality.
At the same time, again, you don't seem willing to accept or even consider the
regional, social, class, and political and historical issues and differences
that played into these events, Kwangju 1980, Democracy movement June 1987, the
Mad Cow protests of 2008 and the mass demonstrations in the fall of 2002 after
the deaths of the two schoolgirls run over by an American armored vehicle.
I was at all of these, night after night, which doesn't qualify me to analyze
them as would a political scientist but did make me aware of a lot of other
factors absent from this discussion.
Don Kirk