[KS] Egypt and Gwangju 1980

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Wed Feb 16 07:54:53 EST 2011

Dear all -- please let me try to clarify and put all into a clearer
perspective (towards the end of this posting).

>(...) Kwangju as an uprising was essentially confined and isolated
>-- and does not fit into any of these models or continuums so
>readily.

But South Korea as such does fit into various models. The task, of
course, as we will likely all agree, is not to proof the validity of
any models, the task is always to explain reality and to detect if
there are any structural patterns -- given we mostly think in patters
to be able to deal with our trillions of daily perceptions. The kind
of action history PLUS the constructed connectivity that was
presented on this list seems not helpful to get to terms then, to get
any clues of what's happening (other than what is happening in each
single case--BUT not even that, I would argue, as it is essential to
understand structural changes to then understand each single case).
That was the point I was trying to make.

>Incidentally, I don't recall describing the crowds that surged
>through Kwangju as "mobs." That's not to say that I didn't -- just
>that I don't recall. If you could remind me of the reference, I'd
>appreciate it.

Well, I only mentioned this because it did irritate me. The term
"mob" has a specifically negative and outdated taste to it ... being
a term for mafia as well as being mafia slang itself on the one hand,
and in its older British usage, I think, reflects a rather elitist
view, but was then also picked up by late 19th and early 20th century
communists to refer to masses in a negative way, masses that are
being manipulated, dehumanized -- non-legitimized masses so to say.
That is at least my understanding. You used it in that same way, as I
read it, and it was irritating to see that in your report dealing
with Korean protests against U.S. imports etc.
--> http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Korea/MB12Dg01.html
Quote: "The questions are relevant in South Korea, where mobs every
few years storm through central Seoul driven to a frenzy against the
authorities, against the American alliance (...)."
Right here is where I would argue that one might better want to
provide explanations that go BEYOND the case-by-case reports and
analysis of such reoccurring and ongoing protests, exactly because
these protests are reoccurring and ongoing. We can all see your point
here, whatever vocabulary is used, that in your evaluation of the
situation you see such demonstrations as being overblown and
inappropriate etc. Many will share this view. You react to that by
using a derogative term like "mob" in describing the people
protesting -- but isn't that done to cover up the lack of an
analytical explanation for why all these housewives, businessmen,
students, and all kind of other people go to the streets? EXACTLY
here is where I would wish to see some sort of more analytical model
helping me to understand and put into place what is happening. One
can just downplay this as some sort of emotional outbreaks and
illogical nationalist reactions. Yet, if we see this happening in
many cities in many former so-called third world countries, then such
reporting does not help us to understand, I think. Also, for making
*connections* (may it be within the same country's history or to
Arabian states in 2011), it would be great to see some structural,
possibly sociological and/or socioeconomic explanations -- not just
some bold boom-boom history (my own derogative term here).

Frank