[KS] Egypt and Gwangju 1980

don kirk kirkdon at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 01:33:26 EST 2011

I guess the point of all this is that those who have the misfortune to be
"middle-class white Americans" (maybe it's Ok to be middle-class white Brit or
French or Russian, not sure, or working-class or upper-class American, for that
matter, though a lot of people in those brackets would also claim to be middle
class) is disqualified from this discussion. Ok, fine. Meanwhile, it's
interesting to note, still no allusion, much less recognition, of the social,
political, class, historical, ethnic regional factors involved in what we saw in
2008 and 2002, also in Gwangju 1980. Maybe all that stuff would be too
"journalistic," beneath academic scrutiny, especially by any "middle-class white
American."
Don Kirk