[KS] Work on Korean Three Kingdoms and Relations with Japan in Russian

Vladimir Tikhonov vladimir.tikhonov at ikos.uio.no
Fri Jan 7 04:41:17 EST 2011

 Dear Dennis (if I may),

 the list of the works by the doktor vater of the majority of the
 ancient Korea experts in the Russophone world, Mikhial Nikolaevich Pak
 (1918-2009), is available here:
 http://www.rauk.ru/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=73
 The one which is most germane for your purposes, I guess, is:
 Очерки ранней истории Кореи (Sketches of Korea's Early History). М.,
 Изд-во Моск. ун-та. 1979 - a seminal work, widely read by most students
 of Korea in the former USSR/post-Soviet states.
 One of Mikhail Nikolaevich's closest friends and collaborators was Dr.
 Ryu Hakku (1925-2004) - a man of a really unusually dramatic fate, even
 for the Korean twentieth century. A Chinju native, he was (presumably
 forcibly) recruited into the Japanese Imperial Army, received training
 in Russian in an officer school in Manchuria, was then captured by the
 Red Army and sent to the Soviet Far East, and ended up settling in the
 USSR and becoming one of the most prominent experts in the Japanese
 historiography of ancient Korean history - and one of the best Japanese
 interpretors the Soviet leadership ever had. He then played a role in
 the USSR-South Korean negotiations on the resumption of the diplomatic
 relations, was (in a way of exception) granted S.Korean citizenship
 (never renouncing the Soviet/Russian one - again, a rare exception) and
 settled in Seoul for the rest of his life. His masterpiece on the
 history of early Korea/early Japanese-Korean contacts is:
 Рю Хакку,Проблемы ранней истории Кореи в японской историографии (The
 Problems of Korea's Early History in the Japanese Historiography), М,
 1975.
 I wrote a short biographic piece on him in Korean a couple of years
 ago:
 http://h21.hani.co.kr/section-021109000/2007/09/021109000200709060676043.html
 Then, I should recommend the works by Mikhail Nikolaevich's brilliant
 disciple, Sergei Vladimirovich Volkov (b. 1955), especially his Doctor
 of Science (habilitation) thesis, <Bureaucracy and Aristocracy in
 Korea's Early History> (Russian - available online here:
 http://swolkov.narod.ru/books/korchin.htm). Unfortunately, in the last
 20 years Sergei Vladimirovich moved the focus of his attention to the
 Russian history, especially that of the former Russian Imperial Army. A
 big loss for the Korean studies, I would say.

 Best wishes,

 Vladimir/Noja